Your “prayers not answered” means your “expectations not fulfilled.” The TAO wisdom explains why: your attachments to careers, money, relationships, and success “make” but also “break” you by creating your flawed ego-self that demands your “expectations to be fulfilled.”

Saturday, March 16, 2024

Learn Some Slang


LEARN SOME SLANG

Learn some slang and colloquial expressions everyday:

In all conscience
: No!


e.g. You cannot, in all conscience, ask him for money again. No way!


Even Stephen: fair shares.


e.g. Now I should get my even Stephen: you owe me $500.


That’s the ticket!: That is what is required.


e.g. “I’ve got it! At last, my first digital phone!” “That’s the ticket!


Can it!: Be quiet!


e.g. “That’s enough out of you. Can it!


Take it or leave it: That is all there is. You have no choice.


e.g. “I want an orange.” “We only have bananas; take it or leave it.”


Don’t you know it!: You’re exactly right!


e.g. “Man, is it freezing cold today!” “Don’t you know it!


Get my drift?: Do you understand what I’m getting at?


e.g. “I want to retire. Get my drift?“ “Sure.”


Tell me another: That’s a lie; that’s not true.

e.g. “I was late because the train broke down.” “Ch, come on! Tell me another.”


Give me a break!: Stop bothering me; give me another chance


e.g. “Can I bum a few bucks from you?” “Come on. Give me a break!”

e.g. “Sorry I messed it up. Can you give me a break?”


Hang a left: turn left.


e.g. Hang a left when you reach that intersection.


Act your age: Behave yourself according to your age.


e.g. You’re almost an adult. Come on, act your age, and stop behaving like a spoiled brat!


Go west: die.


e.g. When I go West, I don’t want a memorial service.


Thanks but no thanks
: I’m not interested.


e.g. “You want this cheesecake?” “Thanks but no thanks; I’m watching my weight.”


Go ahead: Please do it.


e.g. “I want to try this.” “Go ahead.”

Stephen Lau
Copyright© by Stephen Lau


No comments:

Post a Comment