Your “prayers not answered” means your “expectations not fulfilled.” The TAO wisdom explains why: your attachments to careers, money, relationships, and success “make” but also “break” you by creating your flawed ego-self that demands your “expectations to be fulfilled.”

Monday, June 25, 2018

Common Colloquial Expressions for ESL Learners


Common Colloquial Expressions for ESL Learners

Expressing an opinion

As I see it
e.g. As I see it, the cold weather is going to stay for some time.

If you ask me
e.g. If you ask me, the weather is extremely cold and frigid.

The way I look at it
e.g. The way I look at it, gas price is going to go up again.

Expressing reassurance and support

We can get to the bottom of this.
e.g. Trust me, we can get to the bottom of this.

You're doing the best you can
e.g. Believe me, you're doing the best you can.

Expressing an alternative

All that's left
e.g. All that's left is to declare bankruptcy.

If all else fails
e.g. If all else fails, you can turn to your parents for financial support.

If nothing else works
e.g. If nothing else works, go on a fast to lose those extra pounds.

Expressing warning

Just a heads-up
e.g. Just a heads-up: don't go to that neighborhood at night all by yourself..

You’d better not
e.g. You'd better not put all your money on that stock; it's like putting all your eggs in one basket.

Stephen Lau
Copyright© 2018 by Stephen Lau

No comments:

Post a Comment