Your “prayers not answered” means your “expectations not fulfilled.” The TAO wisdom explains why: your attachments to careers, money, relationships, and success “make” but also “break” you by creating your flawed ego-self that demands your “expectations to be fulfilled.”

Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Learn Some Grammar Basics

ADJECTIVES

An adjective describes a noun. Adjectives often give precision and meaning to sentences; in other words, they add color to your writing.

Beware: some words are both adjectives (describing nouns) and adverbs (modifying verbs).

e.g. This is hard work. (an adjective)
e.g. He works hard. (an adverb)

Linking verbs, such as bebecomelookseemsmelltaste, require the use of adjectives rather than adverbs.

e.g. He is happy.
e.g. She became angry. (NOT angrily)
e.g. He looked angrily at you. (it was the action expressed in the look)
e.g. The man looked angry. (it was the expression, not the action)
e.g. The cake smells wonderful. (NOT wonderfully)
e.g. The wine tastes good. (NOT well)

Conjunctions

Conjunctions connect words, phrases, or clauses in sentences. They are coordinating or subordinating conjunctions.

Coordinating conjunctions

Coordinating conjunctions are and, but, or, nor, for, so, and yet. They join two or more complete or independent sentences.

e.g. He likes coffee, and so do I (like coffee).
 e.g. He likes cheese, but I do not (like cheese).
e.g. (You ) work harder, or you will not succeed.
e.g. I don’t want to go, nor will I (go).
e.g. Summer is approaching, for the days are getting longer.
e.g. He worked hard, so he passed his exam with flying colors.
e.g. He worked hard, yet the result was far from satisfactory.

Subordinating conjunctions

Subordinating conjunctions join unequal elements in a sentence or clause that cannot stand alone.

e.g. When we arrived at the station, the train had left.
e.g. We will not succeed unless we get your support.
e.g. I will help you as long as you ask me.
e.g. I will help you whenever you ask me.
 e.g. I will help you provided (that) you ask me.
 e.g. I will help you if you ask me.
 e.g. Although I am your brother, I will not help you.
e.g. You will stay here till everything is done.
e.g. He behaved as though he were better than you.
e.g. Though he had lost his fortune, he remained cheerful.
e.g. Since spring is coming, we have to prepare the garden.
 e.g. Because spring is coming, we have to prepare the garden.


Stephen Lau
Copyright© by Stephen Lau

No comments:

Post a Comment