Your “prayers not answered” means your “expectations not fulfilled.” The TAO wisdom explains why: your attachments to careers, money, relationships, and success “make” but also “break” you by creating your flawed ego-self that demands your “expectations to be fulfilled.”

Thursday, April 5, 2018

American Idioms


Learn some common everyday American expressions.

Nothing doing!: I'll not permit it; no way!
e.g. "Can I bring my cat along?" "Nothing doing!"

What else is new?: it is not new.
e.g. "Last week he lost his job." "What else is new?" (i.e. he has been out of employment for a long time)

I am like you: we share the same opinion.
e.g. "I don't like smoking." "I am like you: cheese makes me feel sick."

Sorry I asked: I wish I had not asked.
e.g. "I didn't pass my test." "Sorry I asked."

Not in my books: not according to my views.
e.g. "Is this good enough?" "Not in my books."

My lips are sealed: I can't tell you.
e.g. "Please don't tell anyone what I just told you." "My lips are sealed."

Snap it up: be quick.
e.g. "Snap it up! We need to finish it before noon."

He spoke too soon: spoke without getting all the facts.
e.g. "He was wrong about that." "Well, maybe he spoke too soon."

Try as I may: I regret or fail to do something.
e.g. "Can you stop the baby from crying?" "Try as I may, I can't calm him down."

Speak out of turn: speak at the wrong time.
e.g. "Beware of what you're going to say at the meeting. Don't speak out of turn by talking about your own problems."

Stephen Lau
Copyright© 2018 by Stephen Lau


No comments:

Post a Comment