Your “prayers not answered” means your “expectations not fulfilled.” The TAO wisdom explains why: your attachments to careers, money, relationships, and success “make” but also “break” you by creating your flawed ego-self that demands your “expectations to be fulfilled.”

Friday, March 15, 2024

Learn These Everyday Expressions


Learn These Everyday Expressions

Learning a language takes time and effort, especially if it is not your first language. Even if it is your mother tongue, you still need time and effort to master it because almost every language has its own slang and colloquial expressions, and the English language is no exception.


Ask me another: I don't know.


e.g. "Does your daughter want a baby?" "Ask me another!"


Fork out: pay


e.g. Well, everybody has to fork out $30 for the farewell present to the boss.


In the picture: informed.


e.g. Thank you for putting me in the picture; now I know what's really going on.


Beat: broke, no money.


e.g. Without a job, we are beat, no copper and no bread.


Go: attempt.


e.g. Have a go at doing this on your own.


All the rage: fashionable.


e.g. Wearing a big hat will be all the rage this summer.


Answer is a lemon: no!


e.g. "Can I come with you? "The answer is a lemon!"


How goes it?: what has happened lately?


e.g. “How goes it?” “I just got married!”


In the same boat: in the same difficult situation.


e.g. I just got fired from my job; now we're in the same boat.


e.g. We're now in the same boatflat broke (meaning having no money).


Stephen Lau

Copyright© by Stephen Lau

No comments:

Post a Comment